Therefore all seasons shall be sweet to thee,
Whether summer clothe the general earth
With greeness, or the redbreast sit and sing
Betwixt the tufts of snow on the bare branch
Of mossy apple-tree, while the nigh thatch
Smokes in the sun-thaw; whether the eave-drops fall
Heard only in the trances of the blast,
Or if the secret ministry of frost
Shall hang them up in silent icicles,
Quietly shining to the quiet Moon.



Sunday, September 01, 2013

Interval


I shall be missing for a few days as I'm off to Northumberland early tomorrow morning to spend three days exploring Hadrian's Wall though sadly I shall not be driving there in this lovely old Alvis car. I daresay that my little red Golf is both faster and more reliable though! The Alvis was part of a display of vintage cars at Chatsworth Country Fair which is where I've spent today with my daughter and some of her friends.


I only took a few photos but couldn't resist this lovely horse and her foal - Shetlands I think but I could be wrong as I wasn't listening to what the commentator was saying!edited to say that Penny is absolutely right! I intended to say Shire! There were some little Shetland ponies in the Scurry racing and they must have been on my mind:)



The highlight of the day for me was the fabulous display by The Red Arrows. This formation is called' feathered arrow'.


Somehow they made the shape of a heart with an arrow through it in the sky - I think the mum of one of the pilots was among the visitors:)


The Red Arrows flew in various formations and did all sorts of manoeuvres including flying upside down. Getting photos wasn't all that easy as they were flying so fast .



Love this aerobatic manoeuvre when they all zoom down and then peel off in different directions. These pilots are incredibly skilled  and are a credit to both the RAF and Great Britain.

PS I'll catch up on commenting when I get back.

11 comments:

Penny said...

No crtainly not shetlands, they are very small. Some sort of heavy horse, shires perhaps,

Diane said...

You have answered a query I had today! I saw that heart and wondered what it was. We could see it at Wentworth! If you are going to visit the house at Wentworth for a tour, you need to book. They have a website and a phone number - its well worth it. Glad you had a great day xxx

Bovey Belle said...

Definitely Shires. Sounds like you had a great day out. Enjoy Northumberland. Keith LOVES it up there and would move there tomorrow. However, I would NOT!

Rosie said...

Looks like a super day out! Hope you have a great time exploring around Hadrian's Wall:)

Anonymous said...

Waiting for more on your stay. Have a great time.

Lynda (Granny K) said...

i've finally got round to joining Ancestry and My 7th Gt. Grandfather was born at Heddon-on-the-Wall in 1679 and lived at Kirkwhelphington. We have been along the wall in previous years, it's beautiful up there and the drive down into Cumbria is breathtaking.

Heidi Kuijer said...

Hi Rowan! So nice to see you started posting once again. Your air show brought back memories of my childhood when I used to go to them with my dad who was in the air force.

Enjoy your little trip...

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Pondside said...

I just missed the Chatsworth Country fair last year - would love to see some more photos of it. By coincidence, I have at my bedside, All in One Basket, a book of simple stories by Deborah, the Duchess of Devonshire, and much of it is about country life around Chatsworth.

Patricia said...

Hope you enjoy your trip to Northumberland Rowan. Have a good time.
Patricia x

Jan said...

I hope that you had a lovely birthday on Saturday. Jx

Witchcrafted Life said...

Vintage cars, gorgeous horses, and sky written hearts - this looks like precisely my kind of day out! :)

I hope you had (and are still having, if there) a marvelous time in Northumberlnd, dear Rowan. Tony and I are nearly tipsy with excitement about our upcoming road trip to Calgary, Alberta later this week. It's our first road trip together ever and the first I've attempted in 11 years of being chronically ill. I'm stressed and worried in some regards, but thankfully the excitement and prospect of great things to come is winning out of the concerns.

♥ Jessica