Therefore all seasons shall be sweet to thee,
Whether summer clothe the general earth
With greeness, or the redbreast sit and sing
Betwixt the tufts of snow on the bare branch
Of mossy apple-tree, while the nigh thatch
Smokes in the sun-thaw; whether the eave-drops fall
Heard only in the trances of the blast,
Or if the secret ministry of frost
Shall hang them up in silent icicles,
Quietly shining to the quiet Moon.



Monday, December 24, 2012

Merry Christmas!



Here we are again with my traditional Christmas Eve post:)

The Night Before Christmas was always my children's bedtime story on Christmas Eve.
So for all of us who still feel the magic of this night......




'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;
The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads;
And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled down for a long winter's nap,
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.
The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below,
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a miniature sleigh, and eight tiny reindeer,
With a little old driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick.




More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name;
"Now, Dasher! now, Dancer! now, Prancer and Vixen!
On, Comet! on Cupid! on, Donder and Blitzen!
To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall!
Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!"
As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky,
So up to the house-top the coursers they flew,
With the sleigh full of toys, and St. Nicholas too.
And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof
The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.

As I drew in my hand, and was turning around,
Down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound.
He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot,
And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot;
A bundle of toys he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a peddler just opening his pack.
His eyes -- how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And the beard of his chin was as white as the snow;
The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath;
He had a broad face and a little round belly,
That shook, when he laughed like a bowlful of jelly.
He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;
He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And filled all the stockings; then turned with a jerk,
And laying his finger aside of his nose,
And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose;
He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night."




May I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas!

22 comments:

Hearthwife said...

Lovely, thanks Rowan :)

All the best to you and yours for Christmas!

moonstruckcreations said...

I remember my Aunty buying me this book when I was a child in the 60s - it was beautifully illustrated. Reading this post took me straight back to my childhood.

Have a wonderful Christmas, Helenxx

Rosie said...

Lovely! Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year:)

rel said...

Merry Christmas Rowan!
rel

Lynda (Granny K) said...

Have a wonderful Christmas Rowan! xx

Diane said...

It's still read in our house. Have a very lovely time Rowan xxxxx

Zuzana said...

Stopping by to wish you a wonderful Christmas and a wonderful Holidays with your loved ones. Thank you for all your lovely comments and visits in the past year.
xoxo

WOL said...

Happy holidays and a healthy happy new year!

Granny Sue said...

Beautiful, Rowan--thank you! And Merry Christmas to you from across the pond!

George said...

And Merry Christmas to you and your family, Rowan. Thanks for all of your wonderful postings and comments throughout the year.

Roy Norris said...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and all your family D.

Mac n' Janet said...

Merry Christmas!

Patricia said...

Thank you for that Rowan, it was lovely. I gave my grand-daughter the book about six years ago as a baby and my son has just phoned to say that they had just read it to the children (there are three now) before they put the mince pies and milk by the fireplace for Santa and hung their stockings up. It's just so magical. Have a great Christmas. See you in 2013.
Patricia x

Mary said...

Merry Christmas Rowan - and may the coming year be full of special blessings.

Hugs from Devon where we are fortunate to be out of the flooded areas - has rained a lot though!

Hugs - Mary

Strawberry Lane said...

Rowan, Thanks so much. I felt like I was home again! I'm sending you special Christmas Greetings and wishes for a happy, healthy and peaceful New Year.

bright star said...

Merry Christmas Rowan,thanks for the bit of frost at Midnight,it just says it so well!

Witchcrafted Life said...

So heartwarming beautiful, thank you very much for carrying on this timeless tradition. My mother always read us The Night Before Christmas when I was growing up, just as you did for your little ones.

May your holiday season sparkle with joy and merriment, my friend!
♥ Jessica

Grizz………… said...

Merry Christmas from the riverbank! (Received your lovely card; will email you tomorrow.)

Dog Trot Farm said...

Merry Christmas Rowan. Sending blessings from snowy Maine, Julie.

Unknown said...

Thank you for a lovely Christmas. We all had a fantastic time and the poem you posted is one that Hannah traditionally recites off by heart every Christmas Eve. What a great story to send the kids off to sleep with.

Unknown said...

By the way, look out for what will hopefully be an interesting post on fungi in Wickersley Wood tomorrow. We saw some velvet shank mushrooms today, which Kaitlyn has subsequently drawn but I didn't have a camera with me yesterday. Drawings and pics will hopefully be uploaded after another visit tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

So Lovely. Merry Christmas to you and let's hope that 2013 brings peace and joy to all..

:)