Therefore all seasons shall be sweet to thee,
Whether summer clothe the general earth
With greeness, or the redbreast sit and sing
Betwixt the tufts of snow on the bare branch
Of mossy apple-tree, while the nigh thatch
Smokes in the sun-thaw; whether the eave-drops fall
Heard only in the trances of the blast,
Or if the secret ministry of frost
Shall hang them up in silent icicles,
Quietly shining to the quiet Moon.



Sunday, August 27, 2006

Knitting again




At last my thumb has` agreed that I can start knitting again provided I don't overdo it! Yesterday I carried on with the wrap that I am making for my daughter.

This photo was taken before the thumb incident so it is much longer now, it isn't a good photo so I'll try and take another when it's finished. I tmay be a while as I usually have two or three things on the go at once. I'm way behind with starting on some winter cardigans etc for my little grand-daughter so will probably cast something on later today.

I always admire and envy women who can knit and watch TV or read while they work, the only thing I can do at the same time as I knit is to listen to music. This affects my knitting speed in an unbelievable fashion, the relaxing type of stuff like Llewellyn or Kevin Kendle is no use if I need to get on with something! If I need speed I put on some Glenn Miller or, even better, Irish fiddle music. You haven't lived until you've been to Ireland and been drawn into a pub by the sound of fiddlers and drummers then sat with a pint of Guinness to hear musicians play and watch others step dance. It isn't a show, just people showing up and joining in, the musicians change as one gets up and leaves with his fiddle and another arrives and sits down with his(or her) Uileann pipes. Then a couple or just one man will get up and dance for a while - it is the most wonderful experience. As far as I know I don't have a drop of Irish blood in me but that wonderful music speaks to my soul.

Back to the knitting - I've only just started taking photos of things I've made and done and seen so there are only a couple of other things I can put here, the first is a pram blanket I recently finished for my grand-daughter and the other is an owl I made for my daughter. I made one for my younger daughter-in-law's nephew and Jules saw it and wanted one too - she's 26! It stayed here when she moved out last month with strict instructions that "Kaitlyn can play with it but it's still mine"!

Well they've both appeared at the top again - I need to go and read How to Upload Photos again!!

Tea and Margharitas, I'd like to link to yours and one or two other blogs too - is it hard to do? And thanks for the comments that have been left, it encourages me to know that at least a few people are reading my efforts.

5 comments:

Janet said...

If you email me (my address is in my profile on my blog) I will try to help you with the photos appearing at the top, and maybe a bit with linking, too. I just started my blog last Feb so I'm fairly new, too.

Janet said...

Oops...I forgot to say I love the owl! No wonder your daughter wanted one, too!

And I also love Irish music. I used to go to an Irish bar with live music and could sit there for hours just listening.

Tea said...

I like to knit, but really can`t do anything too fancy. Love that little owl! And the shawls are beautiful! Think I might give it another try this winter.
Would love to go to Ireland and into an Irish pub. My favorite beer is Guinness ! An aquired taste but so good!
Thanks so much for wanting to link to my blog.
It`s a little scary at first. I`ll try to explain how....
Blogger won`t let me put the html instructions here....!! After all that writing...grumbel...grumble...Can I e-mail you somehow? I`ve just copied all I wrote into an e-mail to myself to save for now.
Or maybe you`ve found out already how to do it?


tea
xo

Tea said...

You got to it before me Janet LOL

Rowan said...

Thanks for the offers of help Janet and Tea, I've emailed Janet because she had an address available.
Tea, you should try and visit Ireland, the guiness there is so much nicer than anywhere else even in other parts of the UK. Don't know why this is but it's a well known fact over here. Give knitting another go, there are lots of fabulous yarns now and some simple patterns to go with them. Your Canadian winters should give you lots of knitting opportunities!